Issue: Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention
ALCOHOL & DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION PLATFORM
Preamble: Democratic First Selectman candidate Vicki Tesoro and Team Tesoro understand the impact that substance abuse and addiction have on our families and our town. A comprehensive, coordinated prevention strategy can reduce the impact of substance abuse and addiction on our community, and save lives.
Team Tesoro believes that our town and schools play a vital role in the education of our youth and families, the enforcement of existing laws, support of our First Responders, and assistance for those afflicted with the disease of addiction, as well as their families.
Vicki Tesoro is a founding member and current co-chair of the Trumbull Partnership Against Underage Drinking and Drugs (TPAUD), a community substance abuse prevention coalition that has been awarded more than $1.125 million in state and federal grants to fund prevention activities in Trumbull since its inception in 2006. Vicki also founded the Trumbull High School 9th Grade Underage Drinking and Drug Forum in 2006, an innovative educational program for students and parents, now in its 12th year, which has been replicated in high schools across the region. This program has reached over 12,000 Trumbull residents.
The effects on our community can be measured in lives lost, as well as the physical, emotional, and financial stress on individuals struggling with addiction, their families, our first responders, and town resources. The goals of Vicki Tesoro and her team include:
- Continue to pursue all potential funding sources, including state grants, federal grants, corporate funding, and private foundations, to support our efforts.
- Continue to support the prevention activities of TPAUD, and coordinate and optimize state and federal prevention funding already secured.
- Support continued funding and publicity of the Trumbull Police Department’s anonymous drug and underage drinking TipsLine.
- Support the Trumbull Police Department’s efforts to implement the new DARE drug education program in all 5th grade classes.
- Ensure that school staff have the necessary training, tools, and resources to identify early substance abuse in our youth.
- Maintain funding for a School Resource Officer at Trumbull High School and the middle schools.
- Reinstate the Youth Commission to identify and address the issues facing young people in our town.
- Continue to improve mental health services and programs in the schools and community.
- Perform a review of locations around town that are conducive to drug use/sales and underage drinking, and work with law enforcement and TPAUD to increase monitoring and enforcement.
- Support a local ordinance to require retail outlets to place all drug paraphernalia (rolling papers, wrappers, grinders, pipes) and e-cigarettes/vaporizers and vaping liquids behind the sales counter.
- Publicize the prescription drug drop box located at the Trumbull Police Department.
- Pursue public/private partnerships to provide opioid overdose prevention and Naloxone/Narcan training to town employees and residents.
- Collaborate with local addiction treatment and support resources.
Team Tesoro is not requesting any additional Town funding for these endeavors.
Team Tesoro will work towards making Trumbull a safe, healthy, and drug-free environment for our residents.
Vote for Vicki Tesoro for First Selectman. VickiforTrumbull.com
Vote for Team Tesoro. Trumbulldemocrats.org
# # #