TRUMBULL EDUCATION PLATFORM
Preamble: First Selectman candidate Vicki Tesoro and Team Tesoro believe that all students deserve the opportunity to reach their full potential. We know that a vibrant and appealing town relies on the foundation of an excellent school system. Our property values rise and we strengthen our community when we make measured investments in quality teachers, curriculum, and welcoming facilities.
Vicki Tesoro has been an advocate for improving Trumbull education for decades. She is a past president of the Trumbull PTSA Council, an Advisory Board Member of the Academic Challenge for Excellence (ACE), a former member of the Board of Education Policy Advisory Committee, and past PTA President of Tashua School, Madison Middle School and Trumbull High School. She is a founding member of the Trumbull Partnership Against Underage Drinking and Drugs (TPAUD), and developed the Underage Drinking and Drug Forum at Trumbull High in 2006, a program that has received accolades across the state and is a model for similar programs in Fairfield County.
Our plan: Team Tesoro will work with the education professionals in setting priorities for our school system. Recognizing that funds are limited, we will focus on key goals. We will strive for incremental gains year after year that both respect the taxpayer dollars and improve the educational experience for all our children. Vicki Tesoro knows how to work with people of different opinions to get results that will benefit our school system and Trumbull. Some of the priorities for Team Tesoro are:
- Support appropriate resources for curriculum development; it is paramount that curriculum be current and challenging.
- Provide resources for enriching and relevant professional development, to ensure effective and meaningful instruction.
- Continue to increase access to AP, honors and elective classes.
- Introduce world language education at the elementary level.
- Promote small class sizes at ALL levels.
- Focus on quality programming in the Arts.
- Pursue the expansion of a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) program through our secondary curriculum.
- Continue to provide requisite district resources to sustain and continue SAT score improvement.
- Integrate technology readiness in core disciplines through all grades levels. Place targeted emphasis on 21st century skills.
- Coordinate student mental health services and programs within and between schools.
- Revisit and prioritize infrastructure improvements in the district.
- Provide resources to ensure our students, teachers and schools are safe.
- Expand our practical life skills program in grades 9 through 12.
Our Town budget is impacted by the decisions made by the State legislators and the Governor. Both parties in Hartford must stop pointing fingers and craft a State budget that is not punitive to the education plan of towns like Trumbull. While at this time, we do not know the final outcome of the State’s impasse, we plan to address any potential shortfall from the State by first allocating any remaining monies set aside by the Board of Finance and Town Council in the Contingency Fund. If the amount in our Contingency is insufficient, we will look to make reductions in non-essential spending in our Town budgets. If further reductions to the education budget are necessary, our goal will be to minimize the impact on our students by looking at non-instructional areas first. Should this unfortunate situation continue in the future, fiscal discipline around spending coupled with real Grand List growth will help us bridge this funding gap.
The Board of Education’s responsibility is to advocate for funding that meets the needs of all students. Voting for Team Tesoro’s Board of Education candidates is imperative to create a future in which our children move forward into the education and career choices right for them.
Team Tesoro knows that great schools are a key component in creating a great town. Great schools ensure children/teens become productive members of an ever-changing global society. Also, they ultimately enrich all of us, by expanding the reputation of Trumbull as a desirable place to live and by supporting increased property values.
Vote for Vicki Tesoro for First Selectman.
Vote for Team Tesoro.